Jägerleitstellungen

Funkmess-, Funkpeil-, Funkleit- und Funkstörtechnik des 2. Weltkriegs
paw
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Rokitzan, Tch

Pragerberg - update

Beitrag von paw » 07.06.2009 12:56

Updated map of Pegasus Y on "Praha" hill is attached.
Changes since last version:

-line of Hans devices is (hopefully) completed. The traces of them in the terrain were quite subtle.
- the Freya EGON placement on the top of huge wooden tower was confirmed by the discovery of it's fundaments (Freya EGON 1 on the map)
- There were at least two more Freya installations of the same kind planned, but not finished (Freya EGON 2 and 3)
- I changed my mind a little bit about the last Freya on Pragerberg (that one with the Splittermauer, see previous posts). I guess it could be a Freya LZ, which, being a "true" radar, was placed on the ground, to prevent false reflections from numerous objects under the horizont. In contrary, the Freya EGON devices, which were interrogators by principle, could gain extended range when being installed on elevated platforms.

I also got some documents about post-war usage of the base. It was quite interesting - the technicians had really a hard time to get the partially damaged (by retreating germ. troops) devices working again, and actually never succeeded to full extent. They were not even fully aware, what is the difference among various Freyas (LZ, Egon.....) and were only able to guess that by technical instinct and reverse engineering.

Now let the photos speak....

best regards,
paw
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

paw
Forenuser

...more photos

Beitrag von paw » 07.06.2009 13:08

... more photos
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

SES (†)
Forenuser
Ort/Region: 05 ON LT 8
Beitrag von SES (†) » 07.06.2009 15:52

Hi paw,
Very nice report and pictures, thanks for sharing.
Interesting to see that you found the Hans along the road exactly as predicted. Long live Luftwaffe standardization.
bregds
SES

paw
Forenuser

Beitrag von paw » 07.06.2009 23:15

Long live Luftwaffe standardization
Exactly ;-). BTW Your list of minimal distances between elements of the Y-linien base has proven to be extremely valuable.

There is only one exception - the distances between EGONS do not follow any of the rules. The situation was probably already critical and the constructors desperate...

beaviso
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Gdansk (Danzig), Polen

Beitrag von beaviso » 07.06.2009 23:56

Ahoj Pavle,

Possibly the EGONs were raised after some of the HEINRICH+HANS (Y-Linien) were taken out of service. It's only a guess, but today we see all remains altogether, whereas it's likely they didn't coexist at the same time.

EGONs raised on wooden towers - that's very interesting! A few years ago we visited a Polish site ("Stoppelruebe") and came across two sets of unknown socles. They didn't fit for a Freya, but they sure had something to do with EGONs. Thanks to your report now we are almost sure that also "our" EGONs were mounted upon some kind of ad-hoc wooden tower. And the quantity is exactly as reported (5 Y-Linien found + 2 Weitlings on unknown socles).

Again, splendid work.

Cheers, mate! :)

Michal

paw
Forenuser

Beitrag von paw » 08.06.2009 09:18

Ahoj Michale,
Possibly the EGONs were raised after some of the HEINRICH+HANS (Y-Linien) were taken out of service. It's only a guess, but today we see all remains altogether, whereas it's likely they didn't coexist at the same time.
I absolutely agree, and I would even go as far as saying, that Freya EGON "1" probably re-used (some of the) cables, after the 1st pair of peilers was switched off. EGON "1" tower stood exactly on direct line between Hans "1" and Heinrich "1".

But the problem I had in mind is this: EGON to EGON distance shall be at least 300m. In our case, it is 230m and 200m, respectively. Strange ;-)

ad. Stoppelruebe - I've seen Your photos from there in another thread, I can bet that the "mystery" socles are unfinished Freya EGON fundaments. So this (planned) placement of EGONs on elevated platform is not so uncommon, as I've thought. Thanks for a hint!

Some (low quality ;-( ) photos of unfinished Freya EGON tower on Pegasus:

thanks & greetings
paw

beaviso
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Gdansk (Danzig), Polen

Beitrag von beaviso » 08.06.2009 17:04

These fundaments for the tower look exactly the same on "Pegasus" and on "Stoppelruebe". The holes on the top are identical, I think. Thanks for the photo. Did you take some measurements?

Best regards,
Michal

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 08.06.2009 17:11

Hi paw,
Could you possibly post your picture of the EGON in the tower? or does the copyright prevent it?
mfg
SES

paw
Forenuser

Beitrag von paw » 08.06.2009 18:03

4 beaviso: No I haven't, yet. I'ts hard to believe, but I've forgotten to take the meter tape with me for two or three times ;-). But I plan to do some measurements, and re-take some of the pictures, as well (namely those unfinished fundaments).

4 SES: With pleasure, I was explicitly permitted to publish the pictures on brdy.org website. I guess the holder of the images wouldn't object to publishing it here, too. But anyway, the most effective way is to post the direct link to entire gallery:

http://www.brdy.org/component/option,co ... /#category

PS. entire article is here http://www.brdy.org/content/view/150/101/.
Unfortunately I don't have enough resources and language skills to run a multilingual website, but if there is anyone enthusiastic enough out there, any translations are generally permitted, even encouraged ;-)

best regards
paw

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 08.06.2009 18:52

Hi paw,
Thanks a lot. I hope our fellow Ln-Nerds appreciate it.
mfg
SES

Antworten

Zurück zu „Zweiter Weltkrieg - Funkmess / Ln / Fernmeldeanlagen“