Funkmess-, Funkpeil-, Funkleit- und Funkstörtechnik des 2. Weltkriegs
Antworten
SES (†)
Forenuser
Ort/Region: 05 ON LT 8
Freya EGON undocumented version

Beitrag von SES (†) » 25.08.2014 12:22

Hi,
Inspired by our Weitling discussion I have decided to rock the boat. In Trenkle Funkmess AEG edition p. 87 there is a picture without a caption. I always assumed that it was a Freya EGON version. As it was different from a EGON 1 I called it a EGON 2.
One such system was found in Denmark in Stellung JASMIN near Hjørring, please see photo attached. And drawings for comparison.
However apart from the picture of Trenkle and the two in my collection I have never seen other pictures nor documentation for this system. Anybody?
bregds
SES
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

beaviso
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Gdansk (Danzig), Polen

Beitrag von beaviso » 25.08.2014 13:55

SES, the picture in Trenkle/AEG has a caption. It is a common caption for both the drawing and the picture at the same page, saying "Prinzipskizze... und Bild der Antenne von Weitling". The drawing is the "Prinzipskizze", while the quote "und Bild der Antenne" refers the picture of antenna.

It looks somehow different from the example found at JASMINE:
- pic. in Trenkle's book: two antennas are separated
- pic. from JASMINE: two antennas are close to each other
In both cases the vertical dipoles look very bold (thick) - and there are 8 of them in a row.
But the latter feature seems to characterize Gemse receivers of many Freya variants.

Perhaps the lower (transmitter) antenna could have been moved vertically in order to change radar behaviour regarding to its local characteristics and performance?

M.

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 25.08.2014 14:08

Hi Michal,
At my age please don't expect me to read everything :lol:
An now it becomes interesting. The gap between the two antenna elements can be due to the perspective, but there could be a wider gap in Trenkle's picture.
If this is the Freya EGON 1 Weitling, what then is the name of the system with the two different antennas and the large gap ;)
What also bothers me is that FuSAn usually is used to describe a system sometimes consisting of a number of elements, whereas FuMG is usually used to describe a radar.
Also the thick dipoles indicates frequency agility like on Dreh-Freya, Wassermann M IV and Jagdschloss, but that does not make sense since the FuG25 used a fixed frequency.
bregds
SES

beaviso
Forenuser

Beitrag von beaviso » 25.08.2014 14:19

...Maybe a Freya-Flamme on a LZ-Stand :?: What dipoles did it have? Thick or thin?

The gap is definitely bigger at Trenkle's photo - pls compare it to a length of a single vertical dipole.

M.

beaviso
Forenuser

Beitrag von beaviso » 25.08.2014 14:31

SES hat geschrieben: What also bothers me is that FuSAn usually is used to describe a system sometimes consisting of a number of elements, whereas FuMG is usually used to describe a radar.
FuSAn 730 = transmitter & receiver in one device - but it was not a radar in German terms
FuSAn 731 = a system consisting of 2x FuSAn 730 + Fernuebertragungsanlage + Auswertetisch

M.

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 25.08.2014 16:23

Hi Michal,
The Flamme had thin dipoles, and the system I depicted was found in a Jägerleit Stellung hence it is a normal or a secondary radar.
As a stand-alone I would still expect it to have a FuMG designation, the Flamme did, and that was not a normal radar either.
bregds
SES

beaviso
Forenuser

Beitrag von beaviso » 25.08.2014 17:08

Michael, you are right about Flamme designation as FuMG.

I personally think that designating EGON1 as FuSAn might have been caused by the fact, that it was not used as a "detecting radar" (like, for example, secondary radar Freya Flamme), but strictly as a navigation aid - i.e. an example of Funk-navigations-sende-anlage.
Thus a single Freya, after modification to EGON1 form, became a pure FuSAn instead of FuMG.

M.

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 25.08.2014 18:17

Hi Michal,
That still leaves the question, what type is the radar on the photo in my first post ;)
bregds
SES

beaviso
Forenuser

Beitrag von beaviso » 25.08.2014 18:48

SES hat geschrieben:Hi Michal,
That still leaves the question, what type is the radar on the photo in my first post ;)
bregds
SES
Was it possible to move the lower antenna in order to change radar characteristics? Or was it fixed?

M.

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 26.08.2014 10:31

Hi,
I think it was fixed, and I think we are looking on two slightly different versions of the same system.
bregds
SES

Antworten

Zurück zu „Zweiter Weltkrieg - Funkmess / Ln / Fernmeldeanlagen“