Funkmess-, Funkpeil-, Funkleit- und Funkstörtechnik des 2. Weltkriegs
SES (†)
Forenuser
Ort/Region: 05 ON LT 8
Freya-Verbunkert.

Beitrag von SES (†) » 12.12.2005 08:19

Hi,
On another thread Michal wrote
PS> Did Freya-Verbunkert have a PPI (could it be considered Panorama-Geraet)?
In my Vol 2, p. 1. I wrote:

The Freya LZ Verbunkert, FuMG 401 ?. This differs from other LZ versions in being mounted on a concrete foundation and not on the standard cruciform, metal legs (11). Further it has no operators cabin mounted; the display equipment was placed in a nearby operations bunker constructed of concrete or bricks. This radar may have had a PPI display. From photographic evidence it is known, that this system was deployed at LAMA and ROBBE (3). It is noteworthy, that the concrete foundation (chapter 2, drawing 32) is always associated with the building depicted in chapter 2, drawing 21. This foundation/building combination is also found in HABICHT, RINGELNATTER, KROKODIL and BÜFFEL although there is no evidence of deployment of the Freya LZ Verbunkert to these sites.

(11) refers to
Kroge, Harry von, GEMA-Berlin, Lühmanndruck Hamburg-Harburg, 1998. p. 182.

I cannot find my copy right now, so maybe someone (Leif ?) could scan the passage for us.

The Freya-Verb. was one of those interesting enigmas I came across during my research, since F. Trenkle does not have it. So there I had pictures of a radar not described in the literature and I kept finding the infrastructure related to it, but no written sources until the GEMA-book.

The Freya-Verb. had a PPI display, which was housed in the operators building. I.a.w. the book mentioned above it was introduced after the Dreh-Freya. This corresponds with the finds in Denmark, where the radar was actually deployed in 2 places only, but the infrastructure for some more had been completed.
Below in only known photo of a Freya-Verb. If somone has additional pictures it would be a sensation.
bregds
SES
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Zuletzt geändert von SES (†) am 12.12.2005 08:48, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

beaviso
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Gdansk (Danzig), Polen

Beitrag von beaviso » 12.12.2005 08:39

Thank you SES for F-V description.
Is this possible that operators' room was placed underground? In one place Czarek heard a story about two-chamber small underground bunker (today inacessible), above which only a mast with rotating antenna was placed. An eye-witness's drawing resembled F-V - definitely no typical cabin!

brgds, M.

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 12.12.2005 08:45

Hi,
BINGO. We have found the Operators Bunker undergound in 4 sites, and above ground in at least 2 cases. The top of the foundation is usually flush with the surface, but in at least 2 cases we have found it 2½ m above the ground. Sounds like alkali is on the track of something.
bregds
SES

Leif
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Kiel

Beitrag von Leif » 12.12.2005 10:42

Harry von Kroge, "GEMA", Seite 181: "(...) Es gelang 1944 nicht mehr, für dieses Projekt noch Entwicklungskapazität freizustellen. Die Luftwaffe zeigte Interesse an dieser mobilen Rundsuchanlage der GEMA und veranlaßte, daß sie die Entwicklung des „Dreh-Freya" an Lorenz abgab. Lorenz entwickelte das Rundsuchgerät mit dem Meßbereich von 100 km als selbständige Anlage aus dem vollständigen „Freya-LZ" der GEMA. In einer abgesetzten Peilhütte befand sich der Sternschreiber mit einem zusätzlichen, abgeänderten R-Gerät zur Stromversorgung. Die Antriebsmotore des Standes konnten von der Hütte so eingeschaltet werden, daß sich der Stand stetig mit 5 UpM drehte. Die Signale für den Sternschreiber und für die Steuerung des Standes wurde mittels Verbindungen über den Schleifringkörper zur Peilhütte geführt."

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 12.12.2005 11:03

Hi Leif,
Thanks. Could you please see if the Freya-VB is not explicitly mentioned on p. 182.
bregds
SES

Leif
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Kiel

Beitrag von Leif » 12.12.2005 11:08

Harry von Kroge, GEMA, Seite 182: "Im Sommer 1944 ließ die GEMA von der Firma Beeck zur Verbunkerung des „Freya-LZ"-Gerätesatzes Drehsäulen als Träger der neuen Breitbandantenne liefern, die schon in ähnlicher Form für „Calais"-Anlagen im Atlantikwall verwendet wurden. Die Bedienungsmannschaft sollte zum Schutz gegen Feindeinwirkungen mit den Geräten abgesetzt in einem Bunker oder in einem eingegrabenen Holzhaus untergebracht werden. Dieses FuMG erhielt die Bezeichnung „LZ verbunkert"."

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 12.12.2005 11:11

BINGO, thank you.
bregds
SES

bfh

Beitrag von bfh » 12.12.2005 22:19

Hello!

Such a Freya was installed at Schleissheim Airfield. The Freya was on top of bunker south of the r/w. About 1/3 of the bunker was above the soil.

The site was reconstructed into a GCA after the end of WW2 by the U.S. OAF and used until 1946. The Freya was replaced by American equipment. The fate of the Freya is unkown.

In 1957 a H34 helicopter hit the bunker and crashed on its top. The bunker was removed shortly after this accident to avoid further accidents.

Best Regards
Guenter

SES (†)
Forenuser
Beitrag von SES (†) » 12.12.2005 23:27

Hi Günter,
Very interesting. In the spring of 1945 the Allied Jabos had become such a problem due to their airfield attacks, so that The Ln-Dienst was ordered to provide a Freya to many airfields for air warning. Your Freya could have been part of that program. The Freya Verb. was not fielded until late 1944.
Attached is a picture of the Freya Verb. Bunker (Splitterschütz) at RINGELNATTER, the foundation and the bunker were constructed, but the radar was never mounted. This is also partly underground.
bregds
SES
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

beaviso
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Gdansk (Danzig), Polen

Beitrag von beaviso » 13.12.2005 12:39

SES hat geschrieben:Sounds like alkali is on the track of something.
Definitely yes. The antenna was said to be rotating continously - so it seems that it really was Freya-Verbunkert, accoding to the update of your Radar Recon Guide!

brgds,
M.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Zweiter Weltkrieg - Funkmess / Ln / Fernmeldeanlagen“