German Coastal defenses 1875 to 1918 - Borkum/Sylt/etc

Militärische Objekte des Ersten Weltkriegs, der Kaiserzeit etc.
Antworten
ProlixPrognosticator
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Hessen

German Coastal defenses 1875 to 1918 - Borkum/Sylt/etc

Beitrag von ProlixPrognosticator » 05.08.2020 20:23

Sorry this is in English. I read German though so I can read any replies and references.

I am looking for information on the coastal defenses that were in place before and during WW1--especially on the islands of Borkum, Sylt, etc.

There is a lot of information and historical research about these areas in WW2, but not much for WW1 and before. What I am interested in finding is the what defenses were in place to defend against naval attack and to protect the rivers and waters going in to Bremerhaven, Wilhemshaven, Hamburg, Kiel, etc.

Does anyone happen to have a good link to this? Sadly, there is not even anything on Wikipedia.

Bertill
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Niederlande

Re: German Coastal defenses 1875 to 1918 - Borkum/Sylt/etc

Beitrag von Bertill » 05.08.2020 22:16

Hello and welcome to this forum.

It is a good habit here to introduce your self on this forum. tell us something about who you are, interest, etc.

The goal in this community is to exchange information and work together to understand the past in many different points of interest.

Best regards,
Bertill.

ProlixPrognosticator
Forenuser

Beitrag von ProlixPrognosticator » 10.08.2020 00:19

Sorry about that Bertill, In my excitement in finding this forum I posted my question without realizing that I should have given a context into why I am interested in this topic.

I am a U.S. based airline pilot who, before Coronavirus, used to fly frequently to Germany. I had also been there in the military (U.S. Air Force) and they sent to me school for the language. During these many visits I had the opportunity to visit the North and see not only the geography, but highlights such as the Shiffartsmuseum in Bremerhaven, etc. I really became fascinated about the entire Nord and Ost See region.

Recently, an acquaintance of mine who publishes the website NavalGazing.net ( https://www.navalgazing.net/ ) mentioned that he wanted to write an article about coastal defenses in that regions up to around WW1. I found a bit of info from the WW2 era but could not find anything earlier--even on Wikipedia.de

Leif generously sent me some starting info so I am heartened to read that there very well might indeed be some good info about this topic.

Danke!
Neal
Neal.Schier@gmail.com

Leif
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Kiel

Beitrag von Leif » 10.08.2020 23:00

Hallo Neal,

wenn Du ganz tief in die Materie einsteigen willst, findest Du die Übersicht der Dokumente hier und die Orginale in diesem Archiv: http://archivdatenbank.gsta.spk-berlin. ... /index.htm
Bzw. in Papierform:
Die Festungspläne des preußischen Kriegsministeriums, ein Inventar. Teil 1 und Teil 2
ISBN: 978-3-412-05006-1
Preis: 104,30 €
Bearbeitet von Winfried Bliß. Köln; Weimar; Wien: Böhlau, 2008 (Veröffentlichungen aus den Archiven Preußischer Kulturbesitz; Bd. 59,1+59,2)
https://gsta.preussischer-kulturbesitz. ... nd-teil-2/

Ein weiteres Buch, was einen ganz guten Überblick bietet, ist: Die Entwicklung des deutschen Festungssystems seit 1870 - Rudi Rolf
https://www.fortress-books.com/en/catal ... -rudi-rolf
(Fortress-books hat eine gute Auswahl zu dem Thema)

Weiterhin solltest Du mal hier schauen: http://www.atlantikwall.info/buecher/lit_1870.htm

Zu den Inseln gibt es oftmals in einzelnen Büchern Hinweise.
Helgoland z.B.:
Fröhle, Claude und Hans-Jürgen Kühn
Hochseefestung Helgoland 1891-1922. Eine militärgeschichtliche Entdeckungsreise.
ISBN: 3980541517 (ISBN-13: 9783980541510)
Und hier im Forum sind Spezialisten wie OWW und Red Baron und viele andere, die sich profunde in diesem Themengebiet auskennen.

Viele Grüße
Leif

ProlixPrognosticator
Forenuser

Beitrag von ProlixPrognosticator » 14.08.2020 00:35

That is absolutely perfect Leif - danke! I really appreciate your quick response as well as the links. The book by Rudi Rolf looks promising as does Fortress Books - quite a nice selection of reading material there!

Cheers
Neal

OWW
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Schleswig-Holstein

Beitrag von OWW » 14.08.2020 10:25

Hi.
Sehr spannendes und umfangreiches Thema. Du musst Dir dazu unbedingt das Buch von Frank Gosch "Festungsbau an der Nordsee und Ostsee" besorgen.
Über Borkum schreibt Stefan Apfel "Borkum - Festung im Meer" etwas.
In den leider nur noch schwer erhältlichen IBA-Informationen gibt es zahlreiche Artikel zu Sylt und Kiel.
Viele Grüße Oliver

ProlixPrognosticator
Forenuser

Beitrag von ProlixPrognosticator » 16.08.2020 19:34

OWW hat geschrieben: 14.08.2020 10:25 Hi.
Sehr spannendes und umfangreiches Thema. Du musst Dir dazu unbedingt das Buch von Frank Gosch "Festungsbau an der Nordsee und Ostsee" besorgen.
Über Borkum schreibt Stefan Apfel "Borkum - Festung im Meer" etwas.
In den leider nur noch schwer erhältlichen IBA-Informationen gibt es zahlreiche Artikel zu Sylt und Kiel.
Viele Grüße Oliver
This is fantastic stuff! I will order Franks Gosch's Festungsbau an der Nordsee" right away and then Rudi Rolf's work that Leif put forward.

Again, thank you for the quick reply and the pinpoint recommendations. Sorry that these replies are in English, I am using a American keyboard and get lazy in just using it to write these posts.

It is enjoyable to see on this forum how many professional and keen amateur historians there are to keep history alive. To think that just 30 years ago it would have been almost impossible (or at least very difficult) for a North American researcher to find the books that Leif and Oliver have recommended.

OWW
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Schleswig-Holstein

Beitrag von OWW » 17.08.2020 19:14

Thank you,
please post here a message, when your publication is ready. I would like to read it.
Regards
Oliver

ProlixPrognosticator
Forenuser

Beitrag von ProlixPrognosticator » 01.07.2021 18:58

Although it has taken eight months, I am pleased to say that I finally received and read Frank Goschs' Festungsbau an Nordsee und Ostsee. I had the devil of a time with the shipping due to the Coronavirus restrictions and finally had to have a friend from Hamburg just send it to me. Fortunately, it seems that the ordering and shipping process is getting back to normal.

I want to thank the posters on this thread for both the reading material and the suggestions. Gosch's book was, along with Leif's most excellent links, a great starting place for me.

At first I was surprised to learn that the Hanseatic league did not have an integrated and somewhat standardized coastal and port defense system. But then it dawned on me that it was not until 1848 as a minimum and more likely after the Franco-Prussian War that Germany was thinking and acting nationally instead of a conglomeration/pact of city states and regions. Again, obvious to a European, but I had mistakenly thought of the Hanseatic League as a monolithic trading and decision making enterprise instead of, well, a league!

I was fascinated to learn how the decision makers under the Kaiser (Tirpitz u.a.) quickly brought themselves up to speed in the art and science of coastal defenses by looking at what the French and Dutch had done. Also how they were constantly thinking, both in construction and strategy, of how to defend not only against attacks from the sea, but also from land--in case an invading force was able to "end around" and come up from behind. As we saw at Port Arthur, such an attack could be brought to bear with less than desirable results for the battery and its crew (captured in other words!)

One of the questions that I had going into the reading was why, in WW1, the English never tried an attack against these batteries or tried to get close enough to shell the ports (Bremerhaven, Wihlhemshaven, etc.) Am I wrong in drawing the conclusion that one of the reasons that the British shied away from this was the the coastal defenses were indeed strong and robust and that they were well coordinated with the High Seas Fleet? In other words, any British vessel steaming close enough to shell one of the island and/or coastal batteries, would have met with fierce resistance from both the battery itself, but also a coordinated defense with a seaborne German ship such as a crusier or destroyer?

What I am getting at here is that it seems that the coastal defense strategies and constructions did exactly what they were built for--to keep the British Navy away. While the blockade obviously was a major factor in the war's progress and outcome, the coastal defenses and their integration with fleet movements did what they were designed for. Am I wrong in this conclusion?

Battleship Bean, the pen name of a young man who writes/blogs on all things Naval, has been adding to his series on Coastal Defenses. I recommend episode 6 here as it discusses Cuxhaven and some of the German thinking https://www.navalgazing.net/Coastal-Defenses-Part-6 while the entire series can be found here: https://www.navalgazing.net/Tags/Coastal-Defenses The 6th episode used some of the info that Leif provided so thanks!

Again, many thanks for these recommendations.
Neal

Aga

deku
Forenuser
Ort/Region: Ba-Wü & Hessen

Beitrag von deku » 13.09.2021 20:39

One of the questions that I had going into the reading was why, in WW1, the English never tried an attack against these batteries or tried to get close enough to shell the ports (Bremerhaven, Wihlhemshaven, etc.) Am I wrong in drawing the conclusion that one of the reasons that the British shied away from this was the the coastal defenses were indeed strong and robust and that they were well coordinated with the High Seas Fleet?
Mit großem Interesse habe ich sowohl diesen Faden als auch die "Naval Gazing" Texte gelesen! Vielen Dank dafür!

Vielleicht sind ein paar ergänzende Hinweise für @ProlixPrognosticator auch im Nachhinein von Interesse:

a) ein Kuriosum ist das küstenverteidigende "Festungsviereck" Langjüten (zwei Inselforts) Brinkamahof (zwei Forts)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langl%C3%BCtjen
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weserforts_Brinkamahof
Diese vier Küstenforts waren bis zum Ende des Ersten Weltkriegs aktiv, wurden teilweise nach der Brisanzgranatenkrise modernisiert (Beton) und dienten später als Flak-Stellungen etc

b) die Militarisierung der ostfriesischen und nordfriesischen Inseln parallel zur Bäderkultur
Borkum, Norderney, Wangerooge, Föhr, Sylt wurden nach und nach in der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts zu Seebädern, erstaunlich hierbei war, dass der Festungsbau z.B. auf Wangerooge und Borkum ungefähr ab 1890 zu einer Art Touristenattraktion wurde - zwar durften die entstehenden Batterien nicht betreten werden (Festungsrayon-Gesetze) aber die Fortifizierung wurde wohl in der kriselnden Zeit vor dem Ersten Weltkrieg als Sicherheit bietend mit Wohlwollen betrachtet (aus der Perspektive der Bade- und Kurgäste)

c) die Wattenmeerküste als natürliches Hindernis
Es ist nicht leicht, sich den friesischen Inseln von der Seeseite her zu nähern (Außensände, Strömungen, Untiefen je nach Gezeiten) und die tiefen Fahrwasserbereiche sind wenige Flussmündungen (Ems, Weser, Elbe) - und danach, wenn man eine der Inseln erobert haben sollte, ist es nicht leicht, von dort mit schwerem Gerät ans Festland zu kommen... Mit anderen Worten wirkt die Wattenmeer Küste mit ihren vorgelagerten Inseln wie von Natur aus fortifiziert. Insofern war es ab 1885 nicht nötig, auf jeder Insel Küstenbatterien zu errichten. Vornehmlich Borkum (Edermündung, Emden) und Wangerooge (Fahrrinne nach Bremerhaven) wurden nach modernen Kriterien befestigt und armiert. Norderney in der Mitte der ostfriesischen Inselkette wurde erst zu Beginn des Ersten Weltkriegs zur Festung.
Sylt wurde ab 1894 militärisch befestigt, hier ist das Buch H. Voigt "Die Festung Sylt" aufschlussreich.

d) man findet Bunker Ruinen bzw Reste auch auf den Inseln Spiekeroog und Langeoog, diese sind aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg. Erstaunlich ist, dass es auf Langeoog einen "Deckungsgraben" gibt, der aus dem Ersten Weltkrieg stammen soll. Pellworm scheint keinerlei militärische Reste zu haben.

e) Küstenverteidigung an der deutschen Nordseeküste und Industrialisierung
sowohl auf dem Festland, als auch auf den Inseln mussten Eisenbahnlinien gebaut werden (Transport etc) - die Fortifizierung nach 1885 war enorm teuer geworden! Zwar war das Militär stets ein guter Arbeitgeber, aber viele Festungsprojekte wurden in der Kaiserzeit wegen der Kosten gar nicht ausgeführt (nur ein Beispiel: die Panzerfortifikation der Festung Thorn (poln. Torun) beschränkte sich auf ein einziges Panzerfort, der projektierte Fortgürtel wurde nicht ausgeführt) - - so wundert es nicht, dass Borkum, Wangerooge, Sylt, Norderney, Elbemündung zwar teils ab 1885 erste Festungsbauten erhielten, aber erst Jahrzehnte später später fertig ausgebaut waren.

Noch etwas anderes: gut dokumentiert ist die coastal defence der Kanalinseln des 19. Jahrhunderts - dort herrschten wieder ganz andere Bedingungen als im Wattenmeer.
Tutto nel mondo è burla, l’uom è nato burlone. (Boito/Verdi, Falstaf)

Antworten